At some point in time almost every Christian looks for a church home. This happens if your family moves, you go to college, you get married or there’s a need for a change of church.
If you are looking for a church home or know of someone who is looking, here are some things to look for while visiting.
- Gospel-Centered: Is the church a Gospel-Centered (do they keep the Gospel as the center in all they do?) Are they a Gospel preaching (do they preach the Gospel) church? This is a must have if you are looking for a church. Is there a passion for the Gospel?
- Bible-Centered. Is the church centered around a pastor or a person? Or is it centered around the authority of the Word of God? All our beliefs as Christians stem from our knowledge and belief in the authority of God’s Word. If that is not there, then the church will sway in the wind of culture. Many false beliefs and cults have started because there is not a strong foundation on the Word of God.
- Vision for the Mission: Is there a vision for fulfilling the Great Commission? This is the mission that God has given to all believers. Matthew 28:19-20 (ESV) “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Is this a disciple -making church?
- What are they doing to disciple their people?
- What are they doing to reach people? If the church is not reaching people then it is a dead or dying church.
- Friendly People: How friendly the people are at a church will show you how important they view the Gospel and the Great Commission. Do they care about other people?
- Family Oriented: Are they attempting to reach people from all age groups? The Gospel is not just for the young people and not just for the older people, it is for all people.
- Unity: Is there unity in the church body for fulfilling the Great Commission?
Bonus: Worship: Is the worship Christ and God-centered? Is the focus on them as performers, on an individual, or is the worship glorifying God? Does it draw people to worship God?
What would be some things that you would add to this list?
When you were looking for a church, what led you to choose the church that you are attending?
Love to hear from you!